Friday, April 15, 2011

A Good Reminder on Why I Left North Dakota

When I left North Dakota four years ago to move to Iowa I was excited for the adventure and challenges that laid ahead.

(Yes, there is adventure in Iowa!! and for challenges, let me take you to Des Moines next week to visit the legislature)

But as the years go bye, and enrollment and budgets continue to decrease, there are times I look back at the old Bison state (or is it the Flickertail State? I'm not up on my state nicknames anymore) through rose colored glasses.(first reference to a country and western song)

I forget about those 30 below zero temps that we would have for weeks at a time.
(No, that wasn't in July and yes we still had outside recess as long as the wind wasn't blowing)

I forget about the mosquitoes, low pay and the Ole and Lena jokes. (I never did figure out if those two were Swede or Norwegian?)

I forget about the long drives to get nowhere. (Only a hundred miles to Fargo does not make you a suburb and should not be one of your community selling points!!)

Well my rose colored glasses (second reference to a country western song ) were shattered yesterday when I received the following video from my nephew.....


Yes that is Interstate 29 running north and south, and yes those NoDak's are driving through the water!!  The good news?...that water is all flowing north to Canada.....the great news?  I'm living in Iowa!!

No comments:

Post a Comment