Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Effects of Bullying

I received the following link through my Twitter account (Thanks to Michael Smith) and thought it was a great visual concerning the problem of Bullying. 

http://i55.tinypic.com/23j37si.png

After you open it up and scan the graph you can't help as an educator and/or a parent but to ask yourself, "where do my kid(s) fall on that continuum? Were they or are they bullies? Are they being bullied?"

We often hear about the victims of bully's....how they don't want to come to school, suffer from anxiety, stress and depression.

How they sometimes take matters into their own hands...inflicting violence on the person bullying them or on themselves through suicide...

What really struck me was the stats on what happens to the bullies themselves....obviously there are no winners in this situation

More importantly, how do we stop the Bullying issue?

In my opinion, this is the toughest discipline issue facing schools and parents today

I wish I had a good answer

No comments:

Post a Comment