Sunday, September 30, 2012

Another Way to Show your School Pride!!

The great thing about school (yes,there are great things about school) is that you don't always have to be an athlete in order to compete and show your school pride.

This past week our Soil Judging team placed at a competition and has now qualified for the Iowa State Soil Judging Contest!!  Who knew!! A contest in judging dirt!! Who knew!! We have a Soil Judging Team!!

Now I'm not trying to make fun of FFA or soil judging in anyway...I mean, I just never knew that there was a a state competition in judging soils...sandy soil vs. loomy soil, black dirt vs. brown dirt (Obviously, I have no idea what they judge or even what different types of soil there are. What is the difference between dirt and soil? I need a lessen.)

I guess I keep picturing the FFA competition from the movie, Napoleon Dynamite where the lead character would taste a glass of milk and could tell what the cow was eating for feed...lots of blue corduroy jackets and funny jokes!

All kidding aside, it's great that the kids who maybe aren't bigger, faster or stronger, who maybe have no interest in sports of any kind (yes, there are those people out there, thank god) still have an opportunity to represent their school.

I don't know if this is a spectator event or not, but I would love to attend as an administrator because it sounds like a dream supervision job, no little kid football games on the sidelines, no screaming parents, no screaming coaches...just blue corduroy jackets and piles of dirt!!

 For once at an event, I could yell, "stop watching the game and start playing in the dirt!!"

I wonder if my activity pass gets me in for free?

No comments:

Post a Comment