Friday, September 14, 2012

What did you do on your summer vacation?

In the old days, (in my case the 1960's and 70's), back before Twitter, Facebook, cellphones and email, it was a tradition that on the first day back to school kids shared with their classmates what they did over the summer.

As I remember back to those dark ages, it always seemed like my classmates had more interesting stories to tell about their summer vacations than I did.  There always seemed to be a few that traveled to far away places like Omaha, or Minneapolis or even the Black Hills.  Me?  I never left the state of South Dakota!! (I guess the thought of six kids and a dog traveling in a car with no air conditioning wasn't to appealing to my folks)

My summers were pretty much bike riding and baseball...no travel, no trips to the cities, no exotic vacations to the Black Hills...just bike riding and baseball...not much to tell on the first day of school.  I had a very boring upbringing!!



Finally, this summer I actually did something worth telling my classmates about.

That's right, me, old bike riding, baseball playing, boring Gibbs had a summer to talk about!!

Here I am teacher!!  Ready to share with the class!

My hands in the air, waving like crazy just waiting for my turn to share!!

Please, will someone just ask me what I did on my summer vacation??

Okay, I thought you would never ask:

  1. I married my niece!!  (No I mean I officiated at my nieces wedding, what an honor!!)
  2. I went to the Twin Cities and cheered on the Twins on three different occasions. (Yes, they are in last place! Not my fault!!)
  3. Ran in my first 5K during Dam to Dam!!  (finished 15th in my age group and yes, there were more than 15 people in my age group)
  4. Went on a vacation to the Black Hills and climbed Harney Peak!! (Highest point east of the Rocky Mountains)
  5. Attended a family reunion on my mom's side of the family and actually had a good time! (and if you knew my mom's side of the family that's saying a lot!)
Finally, just like when I was a kid, I played, I relaxed, I recharged my battery and got excited for another year of school...and, just like back in the 60's and 70's, I still love the beginning of a new school year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment